Sunny days are for foraging and right now is all about those fragrant elderflowers that you’ll see blooming right now. The large white flat-topped clusters of beauty can be found in most hedgerows and gardens around Wiltshire usually around mid-May to June.
Elderflower cordial makes one perfect thirst quencher and certainly is a welcome boost to our tastebuds and cupboard arsenals.
- 20 large heads of elderflower
- 1.2kg granulated sugar or 200g honey
- 1.15 ltr or 2 pts water
- 2 lemons
- Simply shake any creepy crawlies off the flower heads and pop into a bowl.
- Put sugar and water in a large saucepan and dissolve over low heat.
- Bring up to simmer once fully dissolved and pour heated syrup over the elderflower.
- Add sliced lemons to the hot mixture, cover it up and leave for 24 hrs.
- Strain it and viola!